Sunday 17 April 2011

Embracing the sunshine!

Going on three days in a row of beautiful sunshine! Safe to say we're pretty happy about this! It has taken moving to the other side of the world and living in an extremely rainy city for us to truly appreciate how amazing the weather in Brisbane has always been. We are certainly now embracing every ounce of sunshine that comes this way and we're soaking it up!

Still unemployed, we spent pretty much the entire Friday walking around the perimeter of Stanley Park. Steven had a great time taking photos with his new fancy camera and I had a great time walking off the thousand dounts I have consumed since we've been here (just kidding mum, we're eating mostly healthy - I promise!).

Taking photos.

The Lions Gate Bridge.

A beautiful day at English Bay.

The photographer in action.

It was such a nice afternoon we decided to walk through the city and made our way to Sears who were having a big sale so we bought some new linen and pillows for a bargain and headed home. We ended up walking 15km on Friday. Safe to say we were fairly sore on Saturday after walking for about 6 or 7 hours.

Saturday we were up early again to enjoy the great weather and went for a run along the sea wall. We spent about an hour running and walking sometimes (as I'm still recovering from the KCFC) and threw in a couple of stair climb reps for good measure. We raced each other three times up the steps which meant I was almost sick. I was impressed. Steve beat me twice. I was not impressed.

Saturday night we wandered over to Kitsilano (very trendy) where Alex's bar is. It's called Abigael's Party. It's a very cute funky little place and they have a great cocktail selection (courtesy of Alex himself!). We had a few cocktails accompanied by our first ever serving of poutine! For those of you who have not seen my facebook update, poutine originated in Quebec and more or less consists of hot chips, gravy and cheese curd. It sounds disgusting but it's pretty tasty. Poutine looks like this ....

Mmmm.. poutine.
Today is Sunday and as I mentioned, yet another fine day. Steve was off training this morning so I wandered down to the beach to sit in the sun and give my skin some much needed vitamin d. As I made my way to the beach I started to see these swarms of people and remembered today was the Vancouver Sun Run. The Vancouver Sun is the paper here. Anyway, there were millions of people running and walking so I took a few photos.

A very festive car!

Participants in the Vancouver Sun Run.
Seeing the Sun Run today also inspired me to enter the Vancouver Marathon 8km run which is on May 1. As some of you know I was trying to train to take on the half marathon this year but with being sick and hurting my leg at Mooloolaba I have decided to ease myself back into training. Plus its $100 to enter so I'd rather make that investment when I'm fully fit. The 8km will be fine for now.

We've now just come back home from a game of afternoon bocce. There's a great little park one block up from where we live and there's a dog park there too. There's also a community garden which I think is so cute and I love the idea. I also took a few photos of another community garden I found the other day which is right in the heart of the city. Another reason I love Vancouver. Photos here  -

                                      
                                                  Community garden #1.


Community garden #2.



So we played 5 rounds of bocce and I was unfortunately the loser today. Steven is the champion and I completely choked every round except one where I had a magnificent comeback. Steve won, 4 games to 1. A photo of the champion ...

Steven: Bocce Champion.

Just for good measure I'll throw in a photo of our apartment. I'm loving it more now as I am appreciating just how great it is being close to so many things.

Our building.
 Bye for now! x

2 comments:

  1. Nat, loving reading your blogs and seeing the photos. The poutine sounds really gross and I don't think I would be willing to attempt it. The parks sound awesome and all you need now are the jobs to really feel at home and settle in. Thinking of you. Hope all goes well. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy. Thanks for your comment! As you can see I don't think anyone else has quite worked out how to 'Follow' yet! You should definitely try Poutine if you're in Canada - I know, it sounds gross and I didn't want to try it either - but I promise it's really tasty!

    ReplyDelete