Wednesday 20 April 2011

The employed ... and the unemployed

Happy to report I found myself a job last week and I started today. I'm working on a temp assignment at the moment for 4 weeks with a company called SNC Lavalin. They're a big engineering company and I'm working as an executive assistant in the Ports & Marine division. So far, so good. The woman I am replacing is going on holidays for 3 weeks to Hawaii. Very jealous (even though we're going in October it seems like ages away!). We'll see how we go but there are a lot of little details to remember so I'm going to have to get used to asking lots of questions of the other admin staff. Luckily they all seem to be really friendly and willing to help so I'm not overly concerned. I also had an interview with another recruitment agency yesterday and the woman was really friendly and didn't seem at all concerned about being able to get me pretty regular work. Again, we'll see how we go but for the moment I think I would be happy picking up temp assignments. I can then dictate when I work and manage the work/life balance. There will also be no issues when I want to go on a holiday!

My unemployed fiance (okay, that's the last dig I will have!) walked me to work this morning and came back to have lunch with me too. Very nice of him. It's all good though, giving him a chance to focus on some proper training in preparation for Escape from Alcatraz - the triathlon he'll be doing in San Francisco on June 5. I'll probably put a little more info up closer to the date!

This afternoon we went for a run and although it was nice to get outside and run along the beach it was absolutely freezing! Wind chill factor -4 000 000 degrees! I do not exaggerate.

Today was also "420" day (April 20) which we found hilarious (!) and a little hard to believe. To summarise (thanks Wikipedia!),
420, 4:20 or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) refers to consumption of cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis subculture.
We only realised when Steve was walking to lunch with me and walked past the Art Gallery where a distinct 'Big Day Out' smell was evident! So we did some investigating and apparently its a pretty big 'counterculture' holiday, where people gather and consume cannabis. According to my trusty Wikipedia facts, 10,000 people gathered at the Vancouver Art Gallery to celebrate 420 in 2009 (so probably a few thousand more today) and the police didn't attempt to make arrests. In fact, the event has apparently taken place for many years in Vancouver and the police are always tolerant of marijuana use on April 20 "and most other days". Fancy that! Due to the gale that was blowing when we were on our run this afternoon, you couldn't help but smell the distinct odour in the air! Yuck!

One last thing - yesterday I discovered what I thought was the most impressive thing ever...




VOSS water in Vancouver! How awesome! I was so impressed I had to buy a bottle (just for show!). I even shared the pic on facebook and then was promptly informed that Voss water exists in Brisbane too :-( Needless to say I was shattered. Oh well. Go Vossy! Go Lions!! I am not a fairweather supporter!

No comments:

Post a Comment