Monday 30 May 2011

Food, glorious food!

As I sat down to write this latest update on our Canadian adventures, I thought to myself "gee, we haven't really done anything interesting to write about this week" .... and then I remembered we'd managed to consume double our weight in a variety of delicious food - hooray! - so here goes ...

I'm happy to report I am blogging alone, at lunch time this Monday morning as Steve is working (I know - miracle!) and I'm job hunting (oh how the tables will turn once he starts his own blog!). I've found heaps of admin jobs to apply for so I'll get to that in a minute!

Although we've been trying to cut down on unnecessary spending of late (because we need to save for San Fran this weekend), food is of course essential for life and coincidentally pulled pork sandwiches fall into the category of 'food'. Last week Steve took me on a day date to the pulled pork sandwich van in the heart of downtown and yes, they tasted as good as they look! I'm not a lover of pork at all (only Helen's roast normally) but this sandwich was pretty good! I think we had soup for dinner to compensate!

One of those is mine porker!! (pun not intentional!)

Delicious sandwich.

Friday night I was desperate to achieve something for the week, so we headed off to dinner at Guu Japanese restaurant (it's pretty much Japanese tapas) so I could cross one thing off my giant list of things to do in Vancouver. Dave & Missy came along too and we had a fun night eating all kinds of interesting sashimi and other uncooked and cooked goodness. We may or may not have had waffles for dessert ...

I am also happy to report that we had a gorgeous, sunny and warm (16 degree max temps!) weekend. Saturday was spent walking around and enjoying the sunshine, bike shopping for Dave & Missy (add another two people to the list of triathlon converts care of Steven Wehlow: triathlon brain-washer) and exercising.

On Sunday we ventured over to Kitsilano to check out the farmer's markets which turned out to be an adventure! Really, it was only an adventure because neither of us had bothered to properly look at a map or take notice of street names before we left for the bus. So after two buses and about 20 minutes of walking (and thanks to my trusty nose for farmer's-markets-smell and other detective skills) we found the markets! Thankfully (to go with the theme this week) they were mostly food markets, so we bought a couple of things and had some lunch - crepes - while we sat in the sun and watched the local cricket game. Funniest thing was when we were both watching the game on and off and looked away for a second at something else there was a brilliant catch. The entire team cheered and ran over to the guy who caught it and as we quickly looked back we both said "dammit ... oh well, we'll catch the replay" and it took maybe 2 seconds for the penny to drop.

Markets.
Steve enjoying the crepey goodness.

Mmm crepe.

As you can see, there were plenty of other people out enjoying the beautiful sunshine - no one more than this guy! (... I'm pretty sure he was breathing...)


May-or-may-not-be-alive guy - enjoying the sunshine! (Cricket in background).

Sunday afternoon finished with a little more bike shopping, a car trip around University of British Columbia (UBC) - very beautiful and very impressive looking - a game of bocce at English Bay and Wings for dinner.

On Friday morning we're off to San Francisco for 4 days as Steve is participating in Escape from Alcatraz on Sunday 5th. I've started to get a few ideas together for some kind of itinerary for the remaining 3 days, one of which includes a Napa Valley wine tour which I'm pretty excited about. I've wanted to go there for quite a while now, so that's exciting. As for the triathlon, Escape from Alcatraz involves a 1.5 mile swim (from Alcatraz Island in the San Francisco Bay),  18 mile bike ride and an 8 mile run. It's one of those triathlons that's 'on the list' for many athletes so he's pretty fortunate to be able to compete. I'll of course be there as lead Support Crew and will be trying hard not to blind everyone with my now translucent skin.  If you're interested to know more about Steve's race, click HERE.

Race report & San Fran summary to follow in the coming days!

2 comments:

  1. I looovvveee Re-Up BBQ's pulled pork sandwiches! Alex used to make pulled pork sandwiches quite often... nom nom nom.

    So happy that you went to Guu! Love that place. Did you go to the one on Robson or Thurlow? I like the one on Thurlow the best :)

    Also, the farmer's market on Comox St should be starting soon... if it hasn't already! Saturdays!

    Yay for summer in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I must say I am definitely now a convert! Plus the lady who served us was so nice, I just want to go back to support her business! (that's my handy disguise anyway!).

    Yes, we LOVED Guu! It was so loud and crazy too which was awesome. We went to the one on Robson but I'll be sure to put Thurlow on my list hehe.

    Yay for the Comox Markets! They haven't started yet but I will keep looking out for them :-)

    Enjoy camp!!

    ReplyDelete