Saturday 7 May 2011

Hockey Night in Canada!

As we sit in our new 'official' basement apartment for two, I finally have a chance write what I promise will be a very concise another essay length blog ...

So this morning was an early start for the entire household, but for me in particular, as the much anticipated Q-Clash streamed live this morning at 2.10am. Like the faithful supporter I am, I was up at 2.10 on the dot, and promptly made my way to our tiny bathroom, where I sat silently on the toilet, laptop on lap, ear phones in, for almost 2 hours of game time. Thankfully at the start of the final quarter I heard a little knock at the door and Steven allowed me back into our room to watch the last term together. That was a big step for him, I was impressed.

Anyway, we all know what happened so I will say no more .. except .. GO LIONS. I still love you. No matter what.

The only positive to come out of this morning's early rise was that we got to say our goodbyes to Kristen & Alex as they headed off to the airport for their next big adventure!

Around lunch time we made our way to the Vancouver Spot Prawn Festival - dedicated - because it was 8 degrees and rainy outside! It actually wasn't too bad once we started walking and I was kind of hot once we got there (what is happening to me?!!!). So the Spot Prawn Festival left a lot to be desired for us, not that we knew exactly what to expect but the line ups for the food were huge and we decided we'd rather just buy a bunch of cooked prawns (I wouldn't go near any live ones!) instead ... which, in the end, we didn't do. Instead we met up with a few friends of Steve's and entertained ourselves at the Granville Island markets buying some lunch and dinner ingredients.

Spot Prawn Festival (just a fraction of the line up) - a gorgeous day...

Line up to get fresh live Spot Prawns off the boats (not my kinda scene!)

On the way to the markets we stopped to be embarrassing tourists and take photos of this wild seal being fed some fish scraps by a salmon fisherman - very awesome.





Weird bird with cool hair-do eating salmon scraps

While we were wandering around Granville Island, Dave (who was wearing his Canucks jersey) was hijacked by a cameraman who was taking footage for the beginning sequence of "Hockey Night in Canada" - mind you, "Hockey Night in Canada is every second night here! Anyway, he ended up being filmed for the opening shot of the program (with a whole bunch of other supporters) and provided some great entertainment for us, heckling him in the background.

Getting a few tips from the cameraman.

Practicing before the big take!

So at 2.40pm Steve and I took on our Canadian version of the Mother's Day Classic (which I normally do with Kimmy & Mum) to coincide with the 7.40 am Brisbane start time - a 4.5km run around English Bay and through Stanley Park - beautiful! The sun had come out by this stage and so had the animals - we saw ducklings, chipmunks and another raccoon - all good distractions from me almost dying (I blame the lack of sleep).

This afternoon has been all about cleaning our new "pad" and unpacking the rest of my clothes - I actually went to put a load of washing on not long ago and because it's only a short walk on the basement level, I thought I'd just sneek in in my pajamas and uggs. Unfortunately on the way out of the washing room I got caught out by this gay guy with fancy hair who swiftly gave me a look of pity and a half grimace-smile. Yeahhhh, so I look like a bogan.

Tomorrow's adventures include a visit to the Tulip Festival and hot springs ... can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Did you wear your gum boots to the prawn festival or would that be also bogan?
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete